The Rabbitry: September 2013
Some brief updates.
- Lucy joined the rabbitry last week. She’s a 6 month old Lynx (Lilac Agouti) Mini Lop doe.
We picked her up when we went to get the new hutches and the “purchase” came about because we were asking for a doe that wasn’t any good for breeding to be a companion for Jeffrey (our neutered rescue crossbred bun).
Well, they took us to her and we instantly said yes. She ate her litter recently but we’ve had doe’s eat their litters first time round and then been fantastic on the second or third try. If she’s not cut out for it then we have plenty of space to bring in a neutered buck to retire her with.
We never feel comfortable with breeding so young anyway. We normally wait anywhere from 8 months to a year old.
- Beau is still grumpy. His moult/shed isn’t going great despite daily grooming.
- Cuddles is officially an adult! His feistyness has disappeared and he doesn’t try to spray at us any more!
- Lotus is officially retired. Before she came to me she’d been over bred to the point where she was miscarrying and killing any litters she had with her previous owner.
We gave her over 8 months rest and tried her again with a buck that usually threw quite small litters.
She had 5, 2 of which died at about 4 weeks old (we’re assuming organ failure or something as they literally died within 24 hours of each other) and the other 3 stayed here for a while. The Blue Tort buck went to a friend and the Blue Otter buck went to a family member, the Frosty Point doe stayed here.
About 5 or 6 months after we tried her again for a last litter but even though she’d built a nest and basically tried her absolute best, they were all very deformed and either died during birth or died shortly after.
After that incident we decided against breeding her again as she was distraught.
- Finally, we got our new blocks! Bigger than the old ones and shorter so much easier to clean out. I’m 5ft2” and the old ones were just over 6ft, the new ones are 5ft4” to the top so I’m happy!